Which countries could get most impacted by AI first?

AI tsunami is coming, whether we like it or not. Few countries are in the driver’s seat. US being most prominent followed by few European countries. The upsides and the downsides are two sides of the same coin, and the countries that are pioneers could also be the ones collecting these coins first. Their societies will probably see the impact first. However does it mean smaller lesser known lesser spoken about countries get the later mover advantage and be able to avoid some of the aftermath of the eager beaver adopter countries and be able to make a decision based on the outcomes they get to see?

2 Likes

It’s not just about timing but also about resources, let’s not neglect to include that in the equation!

The infrastructure to be able to handle the development of advanced AI systems requires lots of funds, hardware, available power and space. Typically something a smaller unknown country can’t just compete with.

I’d predict they are completely depending on the bigger players, so far as they will not only struggle to come up with their own solutions but eventually forfeit and rent what others provide.

I even think Europe will be doing this, we are depending on so many things already. Microsoft, Apple, IBM, everything we hold dear in europe stems from the US. The little bit of uncoordinated contribution we add to that does not suffice to be considered a serious competition.

However, we do not know what China and other rather intransparent countries are working on. They surely excel in providing infrastructure and resources, including aquisition of knowledge.

The later mover advantage is a bit hard to apply to this new branch of the industry, simply because it’s moving soooooo quickly, that the later mover is almost immediately the early mover again.

2 Likes

Interesting bit of info:

“The call center industry in the Philippines has grown rapidly in recent years and has become a significant contributor to the country’s economy. According to the Department of Trade and Industry, the outsourcing industry employs over 1.4 million people and generates an estimated $30 billion in revenue annually.”

Call center jobs are probably the easiest to fully automate today.

2 Likes

I believe that countries with stable economies, currently facing employee shortages in both industry and government, will adopt, develop and integrated systems to address this need.
These systems may involve autonomous tasks and robotics to fulfill necessary work.
Although the initial cost might be higher, the long-term benefits will outweigh it. like google warehouse…
Humans are highly adaptable, and they will transition to other tasks or adjust as needed until certain types of work become obsolete.
also Ai assistant and robot does not participate to the social economy pension/medical/education system.
I guess at that point government will need figure things for avoid social unrest.

I would not reference of countries that use AI for propaganda, control and monitoring of their population in an authoritarianism system.
It is just way too scary field for me, but I guess 1984 figured most of it =)

Because of the compute power necessary to run advanced AI and eventually AGI, I think most individuals and companies will access the tech through AIaaS and AGIaaS. The largest tech companies will control the tech and we’ll choose among the few available providers. This Ted Talk illustrates what this will look like:

The relevant part starts at about 5:30, but the first part is very good for setting the stage historically.

2 Likes

Very good speech ! Thank you

The discussion of job displacement, UBI, search for meaning of life…will become crucial in societies that embrace it headlong…not just as a tech provider nation but also adopter. Some of the biggest consumer markets will deploy these first bcos that’s where the savings opportunities are. I am wondering what if a country chooses not to go this route. But wait and watch. Let’s say a Bhutan or Mongolia…what would they lose out on?

1 Like

depend of their market ? If they export /import production food and so on… if not i figure things would change only when it will become affordable or if war happen.