Using AI in this Forum (Polls)

I’m curious of your opinion as I have partially been using Chat GPT to refine my posts, but I feel like this should be a place for humans mostly (and otherwise clearly flagged): I don’t want to be doing something that people might not feel comfortable with. Especially if we can’t tell if a post is partially or fully written by AI, possible containing hallucinations or otherwise outdated or wrong information.

Are you okay with people using AI to REFINE their posts if the content stems from them and not an AI? (Mostly a rewording / formatting)

• Yes
  • No
  • Don’t Care
  • I just want to see the results
0 voters

Are you okay with people using AI to generate entire responses (possibly without editing them)?

• Yes
  • No
  • Don’t Care
  • I just want to see the results
0 voters

I feel like this is something we should be aware of and talk about. And I think it might also be interesting to see the results, based on a psychological point of view. (Polls should be anonymous as far as I can tell)

7 Likes

I think for the second question, I would like the option to vote yes, but give credit or a tag when a response is entirely generated by ai. I find it disingenious to post a response fully generated by ai as your own. Also, it is one thing to quote something ai wrote every now and then to make a point, or share an interesting response ai gave…but if the entire forum evolves into everyone feeding fully ai generated responses…that will get boring real fast

7 Likes

Even if I’m a high AI enthusiast, I’m here to encounter others like me, not their AI alter egos, so my answer is NO to both (suprisingly) :wink:

4 Likes

Whoops, I ran out of likes, just imagine +1 :smile:

Thank you, that is a really good input, sadly the polls are designed so that they can’t be changed once the initial 5min have passed, so that one can’t just fake the results by swapping the options and such.

If this should turn into a topic that is important to the community, I’m sure the team will do another poll, should it come to adjusting the guidelines or such.

Right now this was just for my selfish reasons to find out how to proceed from here. (And I have already concluded to stop using AI altogether, even though I just used it to refine my posts)

Totally agree to the second part, this could turn into a “Dark Forest” real quick if we start having AIs talking to each other, basically.

Thanks for the Feedback!

1 Like

I respect that and I understand your concerns, (and I have already stopped using AI to refine my own posts) although I think some people (e.g. someone with dyslexia) should make use of such tools, if it help them and us, to a better exchange. Generally though, I get it. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Though I’m thoroughly fascinated with the development and impacts of technology, I’m strongly of the opinion that fully- and semi-generated communication is a severe negative. I think that due to where things have been going in this regard, the world is already rapidly losing coherence and trust of conversations and interactions between people and also between any thinking/communicating entities (especially AI). It makes me much less inclined to participate in communication when I am aware that there’s a good chance I’m unable to ascertain the nature of who/what is responsible for the messages/ideas therein. Deception, counterfeiting, obfuscation, etc has long been a part of the landscape of human/technological communication. The development of AI significantly compounds all of this and it’s quite unfortunate and problematic.

3 Likes

That is a very well written summary, this thought is what provoked me to create the polls. Thank you for sharing this!

I just started out by clearly indicating I was using AI to assist my writing, by the time thinking that transparency would resolve the issue. But I understand that it’s still something people don’t like.

As an autistic person I’m very familiar with the concept of masking and I have to admit, this shares certain aspects of just that. Hadn’t thought about it then. Deception … hm hm!

2 Likes

Yes, write with mistakes and talk a sh*t here please :D. Let the AI do thinks we don’t want to do…

Okay, I’ll have to take your like on a credit and charge you 10% each day you dont like.

2 Likes

Noooo I already payed up! :sob:

1 Like

Seconded.

2 Likes

As a dyslexic writer, I TOOOTALLY get this! I’m actually perfectly fine with AI refining a post, as long as it’s got a disclaimer/thing to show it’s been AI refined from X point to Y point etc. All I’d hope for is that the poster actually reads it and makes sure it’s what they want to say. That, however, is on the poster to do and, hey, that’s gotta be done on trust.

I think I’ve kinda got to the point where I’ve accepted that I may just be talking to an AI, and gone, coolio, let’s see the point that’s being made and wrestle with that. In the end, all I can control is me, and I’m an ideas person, so it’s the ideas I’m interested in. The source of the idea is very useful to know, but not always necessary.

One thing I will add for fellow dyslexics out there: Keep writing and seeing those red lines; they’re annoying as frick, but they do help you learn. Once your wonderful creative brain begins to spot patterns, it’ll learn in its own way and the red lines start to go away in time. We just have a steeper wall to climb to get our ideas out there, but we can still do it…if we want to. And, hey, that’s a big if. >.< AI does help so darn much :smiley: And I have no idea what I’d choose to do if I were 18 now, all I can do is say that now I’m nearly 40, I know that your dyslexia will get better if you do keep on writing.

Spulling can be improved! The ideas shall flow!

2 Likes

I think if there was an option to write your own thoughts and then click on “refine with AI” that would automatically flag the post as such would be a beneficial step for just that! It would remove the reliance on trust, because it would be much more intuitive than using another service and copy pasting back and forth. Even people on the phone, not having the patience to type out everything would greatly benefit from this. And it would clearly mark your post as such, no option to disable the flag. Interesting enough, I’m pretty convinced that, if everyone could use it as an integrated part of the editor, it would be more accepted by the majority.

I’ll stick to not using it anymore, personally, but I don’t mind others using it, especially if it helps them and us to be more inclusive!

Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

I like that idea, would even be great to be able to see an original prompt and a refinement history.

2 Likes