Neuralink thoughts

Just watched the newest Neuralink video dropped on Wes’s channel. Had thoughts about it for the last 2 years, and we’re finally seeing the first human patient showcasing it… who’s seen the clip of pig on treadmill, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek4OlRNBeEM&ab_channel=CNETHighlights between 3:27 to 3:42, and thought, if that’s the only thing it could do, and do it well, it might be reason enough to be consumer grade tech that people would want…It essentially solves the problem of human IK from an inside-out reference frame, whilst every other solution is an outside-in…meaning you’d be able to record/transmit your joint data…VR telepresence, Mocap of any and all activities.

1 Like

From what I’ve gathered over time, it seems to me that Musk believes the only way to avoid destruction from AI is to embed it into us before it becomes too powerful to control.

The reason for this would be that if AI is developed whilst it is implanted into humans, it may develop feeling entwined with humanity, and therefore not seek it’s/self destruction.

Fascinating, in my opinion…

2 Likes

While I’m impressed, I’m pretty sure this is not what people think (or want to believe) it is.

We are not close to extracting words and thoughts from our brain, just because it’s possible to control a mouse cursor through reinforcement learning. And we are definitely far from writing anything back to our brain, like people seem to anticipate so much (VR fulldive being something I have read a lot of times these days) I guess this technology could be used to control machines in a certain, limited, way. Just know that a cursor moves up / down / left and right. These are really simple instructions that seem distinguishable enough to be learned. There’s no way you could just pin that needle into anybodys head and have them move a cursor just like that, as of now, if I am understanding this correctly. It involves a lot of practice. But once you get there it seems to be very intuitive, which is to be expected.

Personally I won’t ever consider using something that has to be implanted into my brain, disabling me from taking it out myself (or possibly even disables me from having am MRI? / limiting me in other ways) when I don’t want anyone to be able to “listen” to me. I’m conviced it will be possible to read from our brain at some point in time without poking a sewing machine in it, I just might not be alive at that point. :smiley:

But I’m speculating a lot here, I hope that’s clear.

1 Like

Gotcha. The MRI limitation and inability to part ways with it if necessary or desired are for sure huge deals. Agreed, it’s a very speculative topic as we have a limited data point of 1 for now. Just looking forward to seeing the next development/demonstration. I think I understand many of the reservations people have about it…religious, security vulnerabilities, having an embedded polygraph, medical complications, not enough ROI for quality of life gains even if many of the initial objectives that were established become possible. I’m interested to know what possible other use cases might be possible beyond what’s widely speculated…i.e. the medical cases of shunting over electrical natured disorders, monitoring some vital signs…the obvious acting as a HID like a mouse or game controller, teleoperating networked devices like home appliances. I’d like to see any chain of thought for some abstract ideas…like milestones of demonstrations that might lead up to something really interesting.

1 Like

I am really curious as well. While I don’t want to be a test subject, I’m honest enough to say that I hope there will be many others, for the sake of progress. But there’s an obvious problem with this whole topic: If someone could potentially alter my memory or my thoughts, trust and contracts to not do so would no longer be enough.

There’d have to be the need to ENSURE that noone can actually mess with our brains, other than promises.

If that turned into a device people could jailbreak or something, that would be really alerting. In combination with an AGI even more, turning us into potential drones haha.

Anyway, I’ll leave sci-fi for a second:
It’s fascinating how much we can profit from new technologies to improve quality of life for people affected by cerebral illnesses. As someone with ASD, I’m especially curious about further developments to better understand the human brain and how it works. Maybe one day there might be a translator chip to help us understand neurotypical behavior on an intuitive like level, that’d be niffty!

The brain is certainly our most complex organ and I’m sure we’ll be able to understand much more about it, chemical processes - just like poking a thermometer into a baking chicken but with many more endpoints than just temperature :smile:

Perhaps it leads to new technology that is able to read our “mind” by just wearing a hat, enabling us to watch movies without the use of our eyes (the image we see is generated by the brain, not the eyes, after all)

Or perhaps we could wear such hats like walky talkies, to “telepathically” call someone and have a chat. That might require a lot of practice though since I’d assume the speed of thought could be quickly overwhelming, especially the “listening” part. Just the thought of “calling” a friend of mine, which already speaks to fast for me (ADHD), gives me goosebumps!

1 Like