How to prepare for the new future

Any advice on how to get ready for the new future of AI? Like what should we be studying or practicing to get ahead of the curve?

2 Likes

I strongly recommend meditation and a study of the physics of organic consciousness for the simple reason that, for anyone to truly get a handle on, say, the overall cultural impact of artificial intelligences, one needs to be well versed on the nature, qualities and potentials of their own minds; because the danger here is not the Terminator, but in the seduction and shunting of the cultural attention of the human race into taking a path to an evolutionary dead-end. A desire to create an ai god is one such example, and it only gets worse from there.

2 Likes

We need to prepare our students and teachers to prepare for a post work society. The heavy emphasis on STEM in education and the lack of funding for humanities has left us unequipped for a life and a society that isn’t work centric. Here are some suggestions.

Post-AGI Educational Reforms

2 Likes

Prompt engineering and creativity

I’m not by any means an authoritative source on the field of AI, but I’d say this simplest answer…is just use it. Learn how to make it do what you want it to do. Learn the limitations, understand benchmarks. Know what can be input and what will be output. There’s NLP AI, but then there’s ML and CV AI as other useful tools. The digital realm is AI’s playground…so if you think on all the different file formats that exist, ponder how AI can understand and operate on these files…what can be discerned/observed. Sound, images, video, PDFs, txt, CSV to name a few. Learn how to get what you to have extracted from these media. For sound, you might want to perform FFT, speech to text, equalization, speaker identification, and so forth. For images, you’ve got object detection, pose detection, gestures, semantic segmentation, classification, blob detection, optical flow, and so forth. All these narrow AI tools will be at the disposal of higher AI, especially general AI…to serve a purpose, help make decisions and act on it. The actions taken could be for myriad of reasons…to sort things, dispatch other AI agents/robots for closer inspection, start up/shut down things, send notifications, update its knowledge base (database entry with timestamps, associated images, audio snips), modify its algorithms, communicate with other AI…in closing, imagine that humanoid robots are already are amongst us, with OS of their own, networking capabilities, actuators for all their limbs, battery management systems…just that they have no intelligence just yet. Investigate how to animate these robots such that they can navigate the world, collect observations, make decisions on their own…how could you verbally instruct it to drive your car to the supermarket, pick up a very specific grocery list, drive somewhere else and fly a quadcopter to capture images/video of something in particular, then come home and do some general cleaning, wrapping up by cranking out some woodworking projects on your laser cutter…checking your Etsy order list…that’s one way to prepare for the future :rofl:

1 Like

Yes, but… :blush:

Isn’t this history repeating? We’re the ones currently testing, observant of, teaching others of various functions, methods, niche specific AI’s, prompt engineering techniques, etc.

Meanwhile, back in history
A man sits with his pint of beer in a bar, trying hard to convince the fellows around him to stop working on the farms and join the Industrial Revolution as factories increase output throughout the country (giving a opportunity for a better lifestyle for the ordinary person).

Only to look back (for the Industrial Revolution a few generations later, for Ai maybe 2-3 years from now), and see how insufficient (burning of coal/ai hallucinations) and costly (electricity use) the workflows were during that time.

Don’t get me wrong, I am so glad to live now and be in the position to assist and guide those who want to get started or want to do new challenges with Ai.

But I have to agree, we all need to understand cultural dynamics well to assist ourselves as we delve deeper into the use of Ai, to keep being open to assist those around us in a good manner.

If Ai allows us to reach our better selfs faster, how can we possible see the need of others without thought? Unless we unconsciously remember what brought us to this point in the first place. Our will to collaborate with others to reach more than any one person could ever dream of.

Yes, but…:joy:
Isn’t that a teenager with autogen and two robots as co-founders for his Mars Industrial Revolution.

Just smile and enjoy this current era, while we get our hands dirty with as many ai tools out there.

80% of the members of this forum might end up on some Ai advisory panel in the near future (after some of us came close to shutting down our local grid, testing out a new LLM + infrastructure). While 20% will be requested by their governments to be representatives, framing the laws for Mars.

The future is going to be wild.

…“get ahead of the curve?” Boy, if only… because I see a curve that’s ramping up far faster than the Red Queen can run. Think about the generation coming up right behind you. Those kids are going to be educated by ai! —and not just in the classical sense, either, but in the components and disciplines of attention we haven’t even suspected yet. How far will the education system itself evolve in just ten years as AI turns into a pervasive force for the cultivation of human beings. And who’s going to get ahead of that curve??

2 Likes

So true.

I would say we throw in a classic film quote with a twist in here:

“Frankly, my dear, Ai doesn’t give a damn” By Gone With The Old Ways ai film.

2 Likes

I’ve been reflecting on the irony that my work is aimed at making my own job—and that of my entire team—redundant. It’s comforting to know that if we do succeed and no longer have roles to fill, we won’t be cast aside. Instead, we’ll be free to explore new paths while still receiving our pay.

However, what if this scenario doesn’t unfold as expected? I see a vast potential right now. Despite the current market’s challenges, which can lead to a sense of hopelessness and disorientation, it actually offers unprecedented opportunities for young people to enter and learn resilience in ways never before possible.

Think about the general unawareness surrounding AI. The media has been largely ineffective in keeping the public informed about its developments. Only those who actively seek information manage to stay ahead and perhaps even anticipate what’s coming next.

This situation sets the stage for a considerable number of individuals to experience AI for the first time in the near future. Many will be taken aback, expecting something far less sophisticated than what they encounter, leading to confusion and possibly fear. As some lose their jobs and feel lost, they will need guidance and support to navigate this new reality.

There lies a significant opportunity for those interested in helping others or companies, particularly small ones that lack the expertise to implement AI.

The world is evolving, calling for engineers who are young and flexible. Old paradigms will only slow us down, something I’m coming to understand more as I approach my forties.

We are in a time of creativity and openness, making things possible that were once only dreamt of. This is reality, not science fiction. Find your passion and dive in without hesitation. Be ready to move quickly and change direction as new and better opportunities present themselves. Being able to adapt swiftly to new technologies is key.

[This post has been refined by AI, with its original thoughts and ideas provided by me]

3 Likes

Brilliantly expressed and so accurate. If we do not take stock of very humanity through tools we are often too busy to explore ( meditation, ancient old practices etc ) then what we take blatantly for granted; the intricacy of our human minds will get gobbled up and we will have thrown away the very essence of what it means to be human. Thanks for the reminder.

3 Likes

As AI will touch every single sector, if you have pre-existing expertise looking at how to bridge the gap between that and AI, or augment it with AI, is likely the best route for you as an individual.

If not then consulting small to medium business selling pre packaged services alongside training is a low-barrier route to working with AI.

1 Like

But we won’t have to work every day or all day. We’ll need parenting skills and reawakening of the concept of community. Humanities and “soft” sciences like Sociology and Psychology will help us adapt to a more social world. Everyone’s at home, all over the neighborhood.

Hmhm, yes, important skills! I am not worried that we will find together as a society, the more we can let go of our isolated caves. As sources blur, and research becomes hard, we will focus more on personalities and eventually each other. That’s my guess.

UBI could strip us of the burden of sustaining ourselves, which for many people right now is already a terrible curse. I personally know a few long time unemployed people that just can’t find a job. They do not have the capability to think about what community to join or activities to pursue when there’s the question of “how to buy food tomorrow?” looming over them.

We’ll see! But I sure hope we find back to our roots and start taking care of the people that were left behind. And the future generations.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be starting any 4 year degree programs in collage. Think apprentice program. Plumber. Electrician. Welder. Do something while there is still something you can do to make money now. Save Save Save. At some point you’ll get a UBI check from the government but it is probably going to suck. Just enough to buy some Eggs and a loaf of bread at the Aldi which is hopefully walking distance.

1 Like