Developing humanoid robots: Is this a good idea?

We’re engaged in training and developing an entity whose form is unknown to us. Naturally, it exhibits human-like behaviors since it learns from us, an outcome that seems inevitable. When we examine robots or similar figures, they often mimic the human form. Efforts to create lifelike robots, complete with hair and synthetic skin, have been ongoing for quite some time.

This leads me to ponder whether it’s wise to design something so closely resembling humans that distinguishing between machine and human becomes challenging. Is creating indistinguishable human replicas the ultimate goal, akin to a real-life scenario of “Detroit: Become Human”?

Moreover, although the human mind and body are highly developed for complex tasks, we have limitations in many areas such as swimming, flying, digging, maintaining balance, and carrying heavy loads. It might be more beneficial to aim for a design beyond the human form, one that is more versatile and robust, suitable for various environments. Science fiction often glorifies human-like robots with enhanced intelligence, yet this approach seems limited given our inherent flaws.

I’m eager to hear your thoughts on this and would appreciate any opinions or even designs you might want to share!

[This post has been refined by AI, with its original thoughts and ideas provided by me]

I believe that the human form itself has evolved as the most functionally efficient for a non-specialized organism; so yes, the humanoid form will prove to be commercially viable for a very broad range of tasks. That said however, there is no doubt whatsoever, as developers are already demonstrating, that a very broad spectrum of other forms, each useful for more specific purposes, will most certainly become as commonplace, so I’m not quite sure how to grapple with the query, “Is this a good idea?” Just consider how this might play out if, say, a customer looking for a sex-bot is offered only a selection of pretty, delicately coiffured, little sheep… : )

1 Like

Is it a great form factor? Yes, because it can use all the stuff that is designed around humans.
Is it a good idea? Yes if we can control them, so no.

2 Likes

While I find the sheep thingy … a bit disturbing, I think I get your point! I do agree that we have developed a pretty effective body and it only makes sense to use our still limited knowledge of that, which we can control and feel, relate to.

The question in the title also includes the rest of my post, especially the comparison to a society where it becomes hard to differentiate between human and machine. I am wondering if we should try to reach that point or focus on clear distinctions. The thought of shopping for groceries and not knowing, if the people around me are real or not is rather unsettling to me. evem if thats still just far fiction right now.

1 Like

I understand. But consider the effect of cultural pressure by ai on the human psyche as a whole. Everyone will, for example, feel the importance of making a distinction, especially as man and machine become potentially ever closer in behavior and appearance. Broadly speaking, there are two likely responses to this, given that no one likes to be fooled. The first being the obvious strategy of imposing clear markings on all artificial constructions, though this will not serve very well if someone wants to deliberately obscure the reality. In this instance, there would be pressure on human beings in general to cultivate more ‘psychic’ means of perception, such a capacity to detect auras. There are actually techniques that have been devised and already published on the Internet to develop just such a skills. In brief, I guess I’m concluding here that the advent of ubiquitous and highly intelligent ai may well force human evolution into more inwardly directed paths of sensory perception. Fortunately for you, this will not include anything involving sheep : )

1 Like

Yeah, we might just end up sticking a “Contains AI” label on them, or maybe we’ll go for something a bit subtler. :smile:

On the topic of “aura,” are you talking about gadgets like metal detectors, or are we diving into the realm of spiritual vibes and human energy? I have to say, I’m a bit skeptical about the spiritual stuff, but I’m always open to hearing different viewpoints.

But really, what I’m getting at is that it’s crucial for us to think about where we’re headed before we actually get there. It’s way easier to plan for the future than to scramble for solutions at the last minute.

Additionally, I believe we could greatly benefit from reconsidering the physical design of robots. Picture a robot equipped with four hands instead of feet. This design could significantly enhance its agility, allowing it not only to climb ladders effortlessly but also to transport objects simultaneously. Such a robot could perform flips and remain upright, as the concepts of up and down wouldn’t strictly apply. Moreover, it could utilize all four limbs for added stability when carrying heavy loads, yet still walk on two hands in a manner reminiscent of human upright movement, enabling it to hand over items or engage in a friendly handshake.

[This post has been refined by AI, with its original thoughts and ideas provided by me]

I think a lot of the arguments for and against have already been had in literature, from Dick to Asimov interesting and different POVs have been expressed, I just think we need to tread carefully for the moment